Add a Local Keyword
As you've figured out by now, LeftyBlogs.com tries to figure out if a post contains local content - and then displays it on the local page for each state. It's all based on keywords. (For example, every time it seems the word Blagojevich from an Illinois blog, we know it's about the governor.)
Now, we're using the power of the community to improve the logic. You can submit your own local keywords. Some tips:
- Keep it specific. When a last name is unusual, that's usually enough (kulongoski, blagojevich, even romney) but we often need both names (gordon smith, katherine harris, etc.)
- While we have most members of congress, governors, cities, and counties listed, we're missing most state legislators, media outlets, organizations, retired politicians, and candidates. Mine that turf, and you'll be helping a lot.
- Don't submit the names of blogs. That's just too meta.
- Don't submit generic issues. The words "sales tax", "school funding", etc. aren't locally specific enough.
- There's no need to republish your blog. LeftyBlogs is smart enough to reach back and re-classify a post when the keywords are udpated.
- Be patient. We usually review these submissions every other day or so.
Of course, we reserve the right to accept or reject any submission. The critical thing is to avoid polluting the system with meaningless junk. When in doubt, we'll leave it out.
Above all else, we're living by this rule: We'll do whatever it takes to serve our audience. Our readers come first. Not anybody else, not even our favorite bloggers (you!).